Ice Melts Explained: Liquid De-Icer
Welcome back to our Ice Melts Explained blog series where we look at the distinct differences & unique advantages of our diverse ice melt solutions. After digging into bulk road salts & packaged ice melts, it's finally time to tackle liquid de-Icer. Although uncharted territory for some, it has proven to be a revolutionary snow & ice management solution that could be your key to success this winter!
What is Liquid De-Icer?
Simply put, liquid de-icer (also known as liquid brine) is a potent mix of salt & water, carefully crafted to eliminate ice with maximum accuracy. Unlike solid ice melts, liquid covers every inch it’s sprayed on, transforming the de-icing process by minimizing the guesswork to ensure ample coverage every time.
Types of Liquid De-Icer
- Salt Brine (Sodium Chloride & Water): The simplest & most affordable liquid de-icing mixture
- Calcium or Magnesium Chloride: Both are extracted from natural sources in the ground & have elevated melting capabilities, proving to be more effective than stand-alone salt brine
- Additives: Enhancers like beet juice, distillery byproducts, & polymers can be used to boost performance by working to lower temps, better adhere to surfaces, & reduce potential damage
- Russo Liquid Power Melt®: Our liquid calcium solution contains Ice Ban, a non-toxic & natural liquid concentrate. With an average application rate of 40 gallons per acre, Russo Liquid Power Melt® works down to -20°F & is available by the gallon, in 265-gallon totes, or by the truckload!
Advantages of Liquid De-Icer
- Immediate Action: Once applied, liquid ice melt starts working almost instantly
- Increased Efficiency: Brine melts ice 3-4x faster & requires up to 70% less application than rock salt. Plus, equipment can be more effective with better traction on roads & in parking lots
- Longer Lasting: Liquid can outlast solid alternatives that can get displaced from the application site. Surfaces may even become seasoned, not requiring an application for each weather event
- Profitability Boost: Better precision prevents overuse & requires fewer applications, while increased efficiency translates to lower labor costs
- Less Maintenance: Liquid’s lower salt content results in less equipment wear & tear, minimizing your upkeep needs to save your company even more money
- Customer Loyalty: Brine’s lower salinity also reduces damage to property, buildings, foundations, doorframes, & more, resulting in higher client satisfaction even after the first use!
- Optimal Storage: With no lumping/coagulation, liquid remains effective for longer, even when stored outside
- Environmental Edge: Optimal application rates with less chloride pollution ensure minimal environmental impact, making it a more sustainable choice
Application Tips & Implementation Techniques for Liquid De-Icer
- Pre-Treatment: Apply up to 24-48 hours ahead of a winter weather event to allow for optimal drying & maximum effectiveness with this proactive approach
- Post-Treatment: Apply brine after plowing or shoveling to ensure thorough coverage while melting snow & ice that is left behind from your initial snow removal efforts
- Invest in the Proper Equipment: Specialty equipment is often needed, but adding reliable tools improves overall cost-savings made possible by the numerous other benefits of liquid de-icer
- Success in Education: Liquid is a newer de-icing solution, but there are countless learning opportunities online & in-person. Talk to a Russo ice melt specialist to understand the full capabilities/proper uses of liquid de-icer & its accompanying equipment
- Timing & Weather Considerations: Rain/sleet can dilute the solution, making timing & precision an incredibly important variable. Liquid must be applied with enough time to dry/stick to the surface to remain effective when the temperature drops & ice begins to form
Combining Liquid De-Icer with Solid Ice Melts for Maximum Coverage
Although potent on their own, using various ice melts simultaneously can offer steady control & maximize effectiveness:
- Apply liquid de-icers before freezing occurs so the brine can properly adhere to the pavement or concrete, proactively defending against the elements before snow or ice appears
- During or after winter weather events, use rock salt or packaged ice melt to supplement your liquid application, ensuring safe surfaces in even the most unpredictable winter conditions
- Liquid de-icer is often used to treat rock salt (called pre-wetting), helping it work to lower temperatures, reduce scattering, work faster, & boost effectiveness. There are even spreaders with integrated pre-wetting capabilities to treat salt as it’s spread, saving you time & resources
Whether utilizing bulk road salts, packaged ice melts, liquid de-icer, or a mixture of all three, our goal is to equip you with all the necessities to thrive this winter, not just survive. For truly successful winter operations, upgrade your equipment & supplies, utilize our most effective ice melt solutions, optimize your approach, and elevate your snow & ice management strategy to new heights this winter season!
Want to Learn about Other Ice Melts Available at Russo?
To further understand the effective ice melts available to you here at Russo, read about our assortment of Bulk Road Salts & discover our diverse lineup of packaged ice melts in the first two parts of our Ice Melts Explained blog trilogy!