Ice Melts Explained: Bulk Road Salt
Choosing the proper de-icer can be a challenge. To simplify your decision during the busy winter season, this 3-part blog series breaks down our extensive lineup of tailored snow & ice management solutions including bulk road salt, packaged ice melt, and liquid brine. To kick things off, we're highlighting our trio of effective bulk road salt solutions:
Standard Rock Salt
Also referred to as road salt, this is one of the most popular ice melt options available. Rock salt contains sodium chloride, is a white color, and works down to 5°F, making it a great option for fairly common winter weather & temperatures.
- Common Uses: Widely utilized on highways, sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots
- Typical Users: Municipalities, commercial properties, and residential areas
- Ideal Surfaces: Rock salt doesn’t chemically damage concrete, making it versatile & effective on several surfaces
- Advantages: Cost-effective, versatile, typically widely available
- Disadvantages: Potential corrosion or environmental harm, not effective at below zero temperatures
Treated Rock Salt
Working down to -20°F, treated salt is our most effective option for even the most frigid winter weather. This treated, orange-colored salt contains a blend of Calcium & Performance Enhancer with Corrosion Inhibitor. In addition to increased melting performance, pros appreciate benefits like less bounce or scatter, decreased hardening while being stored, and no odor over time.
- Common Uses: Ideal for extreme cold, high-traffic areas, and places where cautionary de-icing is necessary
- Typical Users: Industrial, residential, and commercial properties in harsh climates
- Ideal Surfaces: Works efficiently on various surfaces, including concrete
- Advantages: Superior bulk ice melt, reduced scatter, enhanced storage benefits, no smell, orange color helps improve application visibility while spreading
- Disadvantages: Slightly higher cost compared to standard rock salt, but this can be offset because less treated salt is required to be effective
Blended Rock Salt
This cost-effective solution is a 50/50 blend of our standard & treated rock salts, giving professional snow & ice management crews the best of both worlds. Identified by its white & orange color, our rock salt blend melts ice at very cold temperatures but is more cost-effective than other options.
- Common Uses: Similar uses as standard rock salt, but can also be used where a gentler ice melt is required such as parks & rec facilities, dog parks, and other public areas
- Typical Users: Cost-aware professionals, Eco-conscious contracts
- Ideal Surfaces: Suitable for sensitive surfaces & environmentally friendly applications
- Advantages: Economical, increased melting performance, less harsh than pure rock salt
- Disadvantages: Less effective in extreme cold compared to treated salt
Choosing the right bulk salt de-icer is essential in the battle against winter weather. Our range of Standard Rock Salt, Treated, and Blended varieties offers tailored solutions for professionals, ensuring efficient snow & ice management in diverse conditions. Explore our selection, optimize your approach, and hit the roads with confidence this winter!